Saturday, September 26, 2009

Wood treatment

Notwithstanding the deathwatch beetles, the pine beams and floor of the first floor are in good condition. But a treatment with long lasting insecticide is necessary.



For months I have searched for ecologically safe alternatives. But in 2008 no serious candidates exist (yet). Boric salt (sodium metaborate or 20 mule team lime) is only a repellant. The best existing ecological treatments are only effective for 5 years at the most. Chemical insecticides are guaranteed for 10 years at least. Since I don't want to demolish my ceiling every 5 years to retreat all the wood, I chose the chemical universally used in France : Xylophene.




This stuff is real poison. Once  I took off my mask for only two minutes, but I ended up vomiting my guts out. Fortunately the wood has been dry for a70 years, so it sucks up the chemicals like a spunge. After ventilating a week, there are no illegal tenants left. The real work can begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment